The home was originally established in 1851 when a blacksmith shop in Tamworth was set on rollers and pulled by oxen over Page Hill Rd to Chocorua Village, to become the home of David Hobbs and his wife Elvira. Both resided here all their married lives and are buried in Chocorua Cemetery. Childless, David & Elvira adopted Nellie Lane after her family was burned out of their home in Albany.
Nellie married the Hobbs’ hired man, Albert Fortier, a French-Canadian. Nellie & Bert had 11 children, 2 girls, 9 boys. They added the second floor to the home in the 1920's. Seven of their boys served in WWII (all returned home safely), which brought the family many accolades and recognition, and Nellie was honored by christening the Submarine Batfish in Kittery in May of 1943. The submarine saw action in both WWII and Korea, and is now part of a floating museum in Muskogee OK on the Arkansas River.
The Dyrenforths called this home, from 1978 through 2015, and ran several cottage industries during their almost four decades here. The Farmhouse Bed & Breakfast opened in 1979 as well as the beginning of the maple syrup business, The Farmhouse Sugarbush. Organic gardens and the heirloom apple orchard were established their first summer here. Vegetables, fruits, flowers, and apple cider were produced and made available to the public at The Farmstand.
Everything grows well here — including boys! Pictured here are The Dyrenforths, John, Kathy and their sons Tom (on the left) and David. Both achieved the rank of Eagle Scout, graduated from West Point, and currently serve our country as officers in the Army.
Kathie and John are happily retired and living in Tamworth Village.
The Packards become only the third family in residence here, and have reestablished the B & B, and are continuing to operation of the farm stand, expanding on its offerings to include fresh baked goods, jams, flavored vinegars and other house made items. They are also pressing cider in the fall, producing 230 gallons in 2016, and have made a goal of 300 gallons in 2017. The barn, built in the mid 1800's, and restored by the Dyrenforths in 2008, is being used seasonally for special events, weddings and a concert series.